IAB TCF v2
The consentmanager.net team is part of the IAB TCF working group and co-writer of the IAB TCF v2 technical specs. We therefore are in first line with all new developments and changes to the specs. Here is our roadmap for the IAB TCF CMP v2 support:
What is the difference between the IAB TCF v1 and v2?
The main differences between IAB TCF v1 and v2 are that v2 now allows to differenciate between "consent" and "legitimate interest". It also introduces some new control features for publishers and adds/refines the purposes that were used before. Here is a quick overview on the changes between v1 and v2:
- Added support for legitimate interest as legal basis for vendors and purposes
- Added support for "specific jurisdiction disclosures" for cookies
- Added support for publisher restrictions
- Added support for OOB (out of band) signals
- Added support for information on disclosed and allowed vendors
- Refined support for custom publisher purposes
- Refined purposes (12 instead of 5), features and special features
- New logic of showing "stacks" (groups of purposes) in the consent layer instead of several single purposes
- Refined CMP JS API
Will v1 be compatible with v2?
No. Although the new "tranperancy and consent string" will look similar to the existing consent string from v1, it will not be backward compatible. Vendors and CMPs that want to read v2 signals will need to develop new software for this.
What is the timeline for the IAB TCF v2 CMP support?
This is the timeline for which we support TCF v1 and TCF v2:
- 15 January 2020: Beta support TCF v2 for clients that like to pre-test the API
- 01 May 2020: Official support for IAB TCF v2. Clients will find a "Switch to IAB TCF v2" Button in the CMP settings (see below)
- 01 July 2020: IAB TCF v1 will no longer be supported. Clients that are using IAB TCF v1 settings will be automatically switched to IAB TCF v2 settings
Switching to IAB TCF v2
More Information on how to switch your account see here.
In order to switch from IAB TCF v1 to IAB TCF v2 you will find a Switch-Button in your CMP settings. Once the switch is done for a CMP, it will not be possible to switch back to IAB TCF v1. IAB TCF v1 purposes will be removed and v2 purposes will be added. Aa the v1 settings are not compatible with the v2 settings, it will be necessary to perform the following tasks manually:
- If you are using vendors that are not registered with the IAB TCF, these vendors will need to be reassigned to the new purposes.
- If you are using non-IAB purposes (custom purposes) that are assigned to connect/unconnect with an IAB purposes, these assignments need to be redone.
Do I need to ask my visitors again?
Yes. The signals are not compatible. All visitors will be asked again.
Will I need to change the code on my website?
If you are using a CMP-Code that was created prior to 15 January 2020 you will need to update the CMP-codes in your website.
Will I need to make changes to my TagManager or any other tool that is working with the CMP or the signals?
Maybe. For most TagManagers the connection between CMP and TagManager will work the same way as before. In some cases adjustments to the Tagmanager rules might be necessary. We will inform you about necessary changes on this page.